Over the past few decades, disc golf has grown into a popular pastime on Cape Cod, attracting both locals and tourists alike. In this article, we will delve into the vibrant disc golf scene that thrives on the Cape, exploring the courses, culture, and community that make it a must-visit destination for disc golf enthusiasts.
The Growth of Disc Golf on Cape CodDisc golf, a sport that combines elements of traditional golf with the art of frisbee throwing, has been steadily gaining popularity on Cape Cod since its inception. The Cape’s natural beauty and open spaces make it an ideal setting for this unique sport. Local governments and community organizations have recognized this potential and have invested in developing and maintaining disc golf courses across the region. One of the early pioneers in the Cape Cod disc golf scene was the Burgess Park Disc Golf Course, established in Marstons Mills in the late 1990s. This 18-hole course, set amidst lush greenery and winding trails, quickly became a hub for local disc golf enthusiasts and helped pave the way for the sport’s growth on the Cape. Since then, several other courses have sprung up, providing players with a diverse range of challenges and scenic beauty.
Exploring Cape Cod’s Disc Golf Courses
Cape Cod boasts an array of disc golf courses that cater to players of all skill levels. From beginners looking for a casual round to seasoned pros seeking a challenging game, Cape Cod has something for everyone.
- Burgess Park Disc Golf Course: As one of the first disc golf courses on Cape Cod, Burgess Park holds a special place in the hearts of many players. With a mix of wooded and open fairways, this course offers a well-rounded experience. It’s a great starting point for newcomers to the sport.
- Maple Swamp Disc Golf Course: Located in Sandwich, Maple Swamp is a 20-hole course set in a picturesque wooded area. The tight fairways and numerous obstacles make it a favorite among skilled players who enjoy the strategic aspect of disc golf.
- The Cape Cod Disc Golf Club: This club, founded by a group of passionate disc golfers, plays a pivotal role in promoting and growing the sport on the Cape. They host events, organize tournaments, and maintain a strong sense of community among local players.
- Dennis Highlands Disc Golf Course: Set against the backdrop of Dennis Highlands Golf Course, this 18-hole disc golf course combines traditional golf aesthetics with disc golf excitement. It’s a unique experience that attracts both disc golfers and golfers.
- Martha’s Vineyard Disc Golf Course: While not technically on Cape Cod, the Martha’s Vineyard course is easily accessible via a short ferry ride from Cape Cod. This 18-hole course offers stunning coastal views, making it a must-visit destination for disc golfers looking to combine their love of the sport with a scenic getaway.
The Cape Cod Disc Golf CommunityOne of the most remarkable aspects of disc golf on Cape Cod is the sense of community that surrounds the sport. Players from all walks of life come together to share their love for frisbee golf. Tournaments, leagues, and casual rounds often lead to new friendships and connections. The Cape Cod Disc Golf Club plays a significant role in fostering this sense of community. They host regular events, from casual meetups to competitive tournaments, welcoming players of all skill levels. Their inclusive approach encourages novices to learn from experienced players, helping the sport grow organically. Additionally, local businesses have recognized the value of disc golf to the Cape Cod economy. Many shops and restaurants have embraced the disc golf community, offering discounts and incentives to players. This symbiotic relationship between the sport and local businesses helps ensure the continued growth of disc golf on the Cape.
The Cape Cod Disc Golf Experience
Playing disc golf on Cape Cod offers a unique blend of natural beauty and athletic challenge. Picture yourself standing at the tee, surrounded by towering pine trees or overlooking the Atlantic Ocean. The rustling leaves and the scent of salt in the air add an extra layer of enjoyment to the game.
One of the charms of disc golf is its accessibility. You don’t need expensive equipment or a membership to enjoy a round. All you need is a few discs and a willingness to explore the courses of Cape Cod.
Disc golf also provides an excellent way to experience the Cape’s diverse ecosystems. Whether you’re navigating wooded courses, open fields, or coastal landscapes, you’ll gain a deeper appreciation for the region’s natural beauty.
Other Sports on Cape Cod
Looking for other fun and engaging activities on Cape Cod? Check out our list of tennis courts on Cape Cod or one of the many golf courses in and around the island. Get outside and enjoy the beautiful weather and views while exercising on the Cape.